Social Rented Accommodation

An example of a housing association property

Housing associations (also known as registered social landlords) provide affordable housing to those who need it. Although the Council no longer own housing stock within Bridgend county borough, lettings may be offered to people when nominated by Bridgend Council.


The Bridgend Common Housing Register

The Council and the four main housing associations that operate in the county borough (Hafod, Linc-Cymru, Valleys to Coast and Wales & West) have set up one housing register so that people will be able to apply for social rented housing by making only one application. This register is called the Bridgend Common Housing Register. We have also developed a policy called the Social Housing Allocation Policy. This sets out how social rented housing will be allocated.

How do I apply to the Common Housing Register?

An important feature of the Common Housing Register is the elimination of paper application forms. You will always be interviewed, either face to face or over the telephone. It is anticipated that this will provide a more personal level of service and ensure your housing needs are being identified and dealt with.

Anyone can apply for social rented housing, but you must be in housing need as described in the Social Housing Allocation Policy to be added to the Common Housing Register. If you don't get added to the Common Housing Register the Council will give you advice about what other housing options might be available to you.

You can request an interview in person or by telephone by contacting the Council at the Civic Offices, Angel Street, Bridgend, CF31 4WB, telephone 01656 643643, text relay 18001 01656 643643.

I have applied - how long will I have to wait?

People are often surprised at how few properties the housing associations have available to let, and how long the waiting list is. The Waiting Time Calculator provides information to help people decide whether renting from a housing association is the right option for them. As the demand for accommodation is high and waiting times can be long, you may want to consider.

  • Renting in the private sector
  • Affordable homes for sale
  • Swapping your home with another council or housing association tenant (if you are already a tenant of a council or housing association)
  • Widening your areas of choice

I haven't applied yet - what are my options?

You can use the Waiting Time Calculator for an idea of the availability of properties in different areas of the county borough and how many people are waiting. Due to the shortage of housing association properties, we cannot offer everyone who applies to us a home from the waiting list.

If you are thinking of applying for housing, you should consider the following:

  • Where you would like to live; are there the size and type of properties in those areas?
  • How long will you have to wait for a property?
  • Are there any other options that you can consider?

Are you currently a council or housing association tenant?

If you are a current council or housing association tenant and you would like to move, you can apply for a transfer or a mutual exchange.

Bridgend uses the national mutual exchange service provided by Homeswapper. It is an internet based national scheme and you can find another social housing tenant to swap homes with, in or outside Bridgend. More information on how the Homeswapper scheme works can be found at

You could also find another social housing tenant to swap homes with on the House Swap Wales website.

Available housing association properties to rent

Looking to move....My Choice could be the answer

Valleys to Coast Housing Association

Wales & West Housing Association

Hafod Housing Association

Linc Cymru Housing Association

The UK’s leading mutual exchange service

House Swap Wales